POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Python and POVRay : Re: Python and POVRay Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:27:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Python and POVRay
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Mar 2001 13:19:06
Message: <chrishuff-4AE738.13150112032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aad01b5@news.povray.org>, "Roberto Ferrer de Amorim"
<ram### [at] comdescontocombr> wrote:

> One more thing... what do you think about this? You didn't say if you
> think it's a good or bad idea.

You don't want to know what I think of Python as a scene description
language...
The basic idea isn't bad, I just don't like Python, and don't think it
is the best choice for this. I think a language designed for the purpose
of scene description would be better...with built-in support for
vectors, colors, transformations, etc...and a more OO way of doing
things. (Python still looks procedural to me...)
I've been working on the idea of a CSDL (C-like Scene Description
Language) for a while now, I might start writing an interpreter soon. It
would be a language loosely based on C (the loop and conditional syntax,
{} blocks, semicolon statement endings, etc), but designed around the
idea of manipulating objects (shapes) in a 3D environment. It would be a
separate program that would take a CSDL file and output a .pov file (and
possibly formats for other renderers), platform specific versions could
automatically render the output file.
There wouldn't be any "classes", objects would inherit from other
objects, and inheritance would be done by creating a modified copy of
the parent object. There would be a base object, a "prototype" that all
shapes and other objects would inherit from.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><